Orange & Rockland has issued a warning for its customers to be on the alert for scammers pretending to be utility workers. They advise all residents to be aware of the following:
In one of the most prevalent phone scams, a caller may:
- Pretend to be from Orange & Rockland. They may even manipulate your caller ID to display Orange & Rockland’s name.
- Threaten to turn off your power or gas within an hour.
- Demand immediate payment — often by prepaid debit card.
When someone comes to your door claiming to be from Orange & Rockland, ask for credentials. It’s not rude, it’s safe.
How to Recognize Orange & Rockland Employees
Here’s how to tell a real Orange & Rockland employee from a fake one:
- An employee will readily prove their identity. An imposter won’t.
- An employee will wear a photo ID with their name and employee number.
- An employee will gladly give you their supervisor’s name, the unique “ticket” number assigned to your job, and ask you to call O&R’s Security Services at 1-845-577-3526 or 1-877-434-4100 to verify their identity.