In New York State people and black bears often find themselves living in the same areas. With frequent encounters nearly inevitable, it’s good to know how to keep those encounters safe and enjoyable for you and the bears.
- Remove all sources of food (garbage cans, pet bowls etc.)
- Remove bird feeders immediately. They can be replaced in November/December.
- Wash out garbage pails with ammonia and hot water once a week.
- Keep lids on garbage pails and keep the pails in the garage or an enclosure when possible. Put the garbage cans out right before pick up.
- Do not feed your pets outdoors.
- Stay with young children at all times when they are outdoors. Bears will stay in an area where they find food and water.
- If a bear is sighted, call your local Police Department.
You may call the Dept. of Environmental Conservation Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 5 pm at 845-256-3098 or the Law Enforcement number below for any questions you may have about bears.
DEC Law Enforcement:
845.256.3018 (during business hours)
877.457.5680 (off hours)
DEC Wildlife Information Line:
Please feel free to visit the following websites for additional information: