Do I need a fence for my pool?

A fence is required for any pool capable of holding 24” of water or more and less than four feet in height. This includes the popular blow-up pools.

I've seen coyotes around my property, what should I do?

If you have experienced any issues with coyotes, please call The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) at 845-256-3098. Eleven coyotes have been trapped in and around Airmont and relocated by the Department of Environmental Conservation. Coyotes are usually afraid of people and flee when we make loud noises or throw objects. Please limit food sources near your home, including garbage and bird seed, because they attract rodents that ultimately attract coyotes.

Am I responsible for access to the hydrant in front of my house?

It is the homeowner’s responsibility to keep the fire hydrant in front of their home clear of any snow or debris and to cut the grass around it during the growing season.

How can I find out if there are any registered sex offenders living near me?

You can go to the Rockland County Sherriff’s website to find out if a registered sex offender is living near you.

Trash & Recycling

Where do I leave my trash and recyclables on pickup days?

The Village of Airmont has contracted for yard side pickup of your regular garbage.  There is no need to bring trash cans to the street. For Wednesday recycling, bins are to be left on the curb, but no earlier than 5pm on Tuesday nights.

Does the Village provide Fall leaf bags?

Fall Leaf Bags are available for pick-up at Village Hall from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday thru Friday. When clearing your lawn of leaves during the Fall season, it is beneficial to clean the leaves off of the storm drains to allow for water to pass through avoiding flooding on your street and/or your property.

What items are acceptable to be recycled?

Generally, paper, cardboard, plastic and glass bottles, and metal cans are all recyclable.  However, plastic bags, including grocery or shopping bags are not. If you are uncertain if an item is an acceptable item to be recycled or to be disposed of, please call Village Hall and/or Carlo Minuto Carting at 845-353-5678.

What do I do if my trash wasn’t picked up?

To report a missed garbage or recycling pick up after 4 pm, you may call Carlo Minuto Carting directly at 845-353-5678.

Am I required to place all my trash in trash bags?

The carting company will not pick up any loose garbage in your garage pails as per the Rockland County Sanitary Health Code. All garbage must be bagged.

Transportation and Parking

What are the rules for Parking on Village Streets?

Continuous parking on any public roadway in the Village is permitted between the hours of 12:00 Midnight and 6:00 A.M. during the period from April 1 to November 1 of each year.  There will be no overnight parking on any Village of Airmont roads from the period of November 1 to April 1 every year.  The parking of any vehicle within 15 feet of any fire hydrant or Fire Department Siamese connection is also prohibited. In addition, you are not allowed to park cars on your front yard or within the setbacks.

Where can I find more information about the new Tappan Zee Bridge?

The NYS Thruway Authority is rebuilding the Tappan Zee Bridge and plans to run a commuter train along the Thruway from the Tappan Zee Bridge to Suffern. Go to the NYS Thruway Authority’s website for more information (

General Regulations

What are the local rules regarding lawn mowers and leaf blowers?

You or a lawn service company cannot operate any power or manual lawn mower or any other gardening equipment between the hours of 8:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. nor blow or rake leaves, grass or other debris onto the roadway, right-of-way or adjoining property.

I’m having work done on my home. Do I need a permit?

Airmont is actively enforcing building and zoning codes to increase compliance and accountability, enhancing the quality of life and safety for all Village residents. In general, permits are required for anything other than painting or floor refinishing. Any plumbing, gas or electrical work requires a permit.

Are residents required to clean up after their dogs?

The Village of Airmont has a law (Local Law #2 of 2005) that requires you to properly dispose of your dog’s waste in a sanitary manner. Failure to comply with this local law may result in a $150 fine per occurrence. Please note that disposal of this waste in storm drains is strictly prohibited.

Does the Village have space available to rent for a large party or gathering?

Yes. The Village has a newly constructed, large room available for rent to our residents. Please stop in Village Hall for a tour of the facilities, additional information and to reserve your date.